What could be a more classic, old school appetizer than a cheese ball? I’ve made many over the past few years but this seems to be the number one crowd pleaser. It’s a ranch, cream and cheddar cheese ball that spreads beautifully and leaves you wanting more after every bite.
2 boxes cream cheese (softened & room temperature)
1 packet ranch dressing powder (found with the salad dressings in the grocery store)
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
• Mix ranch seasoning into softened cream cheese.
• Form mixture into a ball, cut in half and form each half into a ball.
• Roll each ball in the shredded cheddar cheese until covered.
• Wrap in Saran wrap and chill.
• Serve chilled with crackers, veggies, bread, etc.
The different versions of this are endless!
Southwestern version: Mix the cream cheese with crumbled bacon and minced jalapeno, roll in cheese and serve with guacamole, salsa and chips.
Make smaller cheese balls (the size of meatballs), wrap in colored Saran wrap and give them as gifts. Or make different varieties of smaller balls for a cocktail party. Whatever ingredients you choose, don’t forget the love!
Here’s the classic SNL “Schweddy Ball” skit just for fun: