In my quest (and obsession) for the perfect ravioli, I have created a palm-sized, deep-dish ravioli filled with garlic, shallots, ham, and baby spinach. The smell of the sautéed shallots & garlic was intoxicating and once all the ingredients were mixed into the ricotta I had to restrain myself from eating the filling right out of the bowl not leaving any for the ravioli!
The dough….I wasn’t thrilled with the density of the dough because it was very difficult to roll out. However, I wanted to make sure it was hearty enough to stay together while boiling and able to securely hold the filling. I found that the longer I boiled the ravioli the softer the dough became but it’s still not quite the texture I’m trying to achieve so it’s back to the drawing board but here’s the recipe I used:
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Water as needed
- KitchenAid Mixer
- EZ-Pocket Pan
- Rolling Pin
- 1/2 of a large container of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 large shallot (minced)
- 6 medium/large cloves of garlic (minced)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Diced ham
- 1/2 bag of baby spinach
- Diced parmesan cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- 2 handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sift flour and salt directly into your KitchenAid mixer bowl.
- Add the eggs, oil and about 2 Tablespoons of warm water and start the mixer on level 2 just to combine the ingredients. Once combined i go up to level 4 and mix until the dough is smooth and stretchy.
- Roll dough into a ball, place back in the bowl and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- While dough is resting prepare your filling.
- Saute the garlic and shallots in olive oil, salt and pepper over medium/low heat until the shallots are tender.
- Scoop the shallots and garlic into the bowl containing your egg and ricotta cheese. Reserve the oil in the pan to saute the baby spinach.
- Add sautéed spinach, grated and diced parmesan, diced ham, shredded mozzarella to the ricotta mixture and stir ingredients together.
- Cut the dough ball in half and cut the halves in half.
- On a clean floured surface start rolling out your dough to cover the size of the EZ-Pan.
- Place dough in pan, add filling, roll out top sheet of dough, cover and cut into ravioli.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with corn meal and place finished ravioli on the sheet. Sprinkle top of ravioli with corn meal as well.
- Place ravioli in the freezer until frozen then place in a zip lock bag for future use or boil a pot of water and eat right away!