Is there anything better than a warm bowl of chili on a cold night? This dish will warm you from the inside out and is freezes beautifully for future meals.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 cubanelle pepper
- 1 large shallot
- 1 lg. can diced tomatoes
- 1 lg. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans (drained)
- 1 can small white beans (drained)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Liquid Smoke (to taste)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 chili seasoning pack
- Mince the shallot, chop the pepper and add to a large pot.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper and cook over medium/low heat until the shallots begin to reduce a bit.
- Brown the ground meat in a large frying pan. Drain the grease, add the chili seasoning pack and mix well.
- To the large pot of shallots and peppers add meat and all ingredients except the shredded cheese. Add as much liquid smoke as you like but add a little at a time and check the taste before adding more. REMEMBER: you can always add, but you can never take away.
- Mix well and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Put chili in a bowl, top with shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy!
I like to make a big batch, portion out into single serve containers and put in the freezer for future meals. It keeps so well and is perfect for a quick and easy last minute meal!