I recently enjoyed a delicious product from a local gourmet spice shop, Spice It Up, called Triple Ale Onion. It’s a savory spread made by Wozz! LLC. I enjoyed it so much I decided to recreate the product with a twist and made a caramelized shallot jam.
- 10 large shallots
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the shallots into slices and place in a medium frying pan.
- Drizzle with enough extra virgin olive oil to coat the shallots, add the thyme and season with salt & pepper (to taste).
- Cook the shallots over medium-high heat until they caramelize.
- Add the balsamic vinegar & brown sugar and mix until fully incorporated.
- Lower the heat and continue cooking until the vinegar reduces and becomes the consistency of syrup (approx. 5-7 minutes).
- Stir frequently so the mixture doesn’t stick to the pan and burn.
Serve hot over meat or fish or cold as a spread.
I served this last night over pork chops and it was AMAZING!!! I highly recommend trying the Triple Ale Onion spread but if you want something equally as good and WANT IT NOW try this recipe!!!
Triple Ale Onion can be purchased from Spice It Up in Beach Haven, NJ. Not from the area? No problem! Go to their website for this and many other fabulous products: http://www.spiceituplbi.com