I did not make a new year’s resolution, however, I am on a quest to eat less meat. One of the problems I have encountered in the past is that my hunger never seemed to be satisfied when I tried to adopt a vegetarian diet. Perhaps my body is changing because I have been pleasantly surprised and completely satisfied with the last few meatless dishes I have made, especially this one. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
*GLUTEN FREE OPTION: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs & bread slices.
*VEGAN OPTION: Use flax seeds instead of eggs and omit the herb butter.
To replace one egg:
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water (or other liquid)
- Stir together until thick and gelatinous
- 6 medium-large baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cups crushed croutons or breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2″ wide chunk of extra firm tofu
- 6 slices of (sandwich) bread (white, wheat, multi grain, etc.)
- 12 small pieces of herb butter (recipe found here: https://ncnfoodie.wordpress.com/2015/11/29/herb-butter/)
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean, de-stem and chop mushrooms into small pieces and put in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add breadcrumbs or crush the croutons and add to mushrooms.
- Add two (2) eggs (beaten) and add to the mixture.
- Wrap the tofu in paper towels, squeeze as much moisture as possible out of the tofu then crumble it and add to the mix.
- Season with salt pepper & smoked paprika and mix.
- Spray a muffin pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Cut each slice of bread into four (4) pieces and place a piece in each muffin cup.
- Add the of the mixture to each muffin cup and add a small piece of herb butter on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Sautéed Swiss Chard
- Wash & cut the greens off the stems.
- Cut green in half and place in a microwaveable bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and cook on high for 4 minutes.
- Drain and season with salt & pepper.