Here’s a quick and easy appetizer for any occasion that’s affordable beyond belief! They can be prepared ahead of time (kept refrigerated) then cooked just before your guests arrive.
- Wonton Wrappers
- Extra Firm Tofu
- Soy Sauce
- 4-6 Scallions
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg
- Cut 1/3 of the tofu from the block, wrap in paper towels and gently squeeze the water out then crumble into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the scallions and add to the tofu.
- Pour enough soy sauce over the tofu to coat it, mix well with the scallions.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl.
- Take a wonton wrapper and place it so that it is in a diamond shape instead of a square.
- Add a pinch of the tofu scallion mix to the center of the wrapper.
- Dip your finger in the egg and rub it along the bottom left & right sides of the wrapper.
- Fold the top over and gently press the edges together making sure it’s sealed (it will now look like a triangle).
- Place the sealed wonton on a baking sheet.
- Repeat the process until your tofu scallion mix is gone (makes approx. 20-24).
- Place about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a pot and heat on medium until bubbles appear. To test the oil place the edge of a wonton wrapper in the oil. If it bubbles on impact your oil is ready.
- Using a spider spatula or slotted spoon, carefully place 4 wontons at a time into the oil. Flip after a few seconds (the edges will turn brown quickly-be careful not to burn them).
- Take out of the oil and place on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
Honey Soy Sauce
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey to about 1/3 – 1/2 cup soy sauce and wisk until fully incorporated.
- Add some minced scallions.
Click here to see the finished product! https://www.instagram.com/p/BBglxbDJ7P6/?taken-by=nettiescookinnow