Welcome September! Cooler weather is on the horizon but it’s still warm enough to say it’s summer, which is why this is a great dish! This meal can be eaten hot or cold. Really? YES! There’s nothing like a hot dish to warm you up on a chilly day or a cool gazpacho to beat the heat. Try this and have the best of both worlds!
- 4 large skinless chicken breasts on the bone
- 4 cups water
- 6 chicken bullion cubes
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Fresh parsley (roughly chopped – stems & all!)
- Fresh thyme (whole)
- 1 large zucchini (chunked)
- 1/4 head red cabbage (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 head green cabbage (roughly chopped)
- Put the chicken on the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add water and seasoning.
- Add all vegetables to the pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove all ingredients from the crock and separate the chicken from the vegetables.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the bones and shred with forks.
- Place veggies in a blender with some liquid and puree. *The less liquid you add the thicker the puree.
- Add shredded back into the crock pot and pour the puree over it. Mix to incorporate.
- Serve it hot right out of the pot or let it cool in a separate container to room temperature then refrigerate.
Don’t forget to sop up the puree with a good piece of bread!