What’s more American than apple pie? BACON APPLE PIE!!!!!!!! This classic sweet-n-salty combo will have you going back for seconds (maybe even thirds). Go ahead….make a pig of yourself! “Oink oink my good man.”
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound (cooked) bacon
- 3 apples (peeled and sliced thin)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. butter (cut into small pieces)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees (F)
- Cook bacon until crispy (do not burn). Remove from pan and let cool on a paper towel lined plate.
- Peel apples, slice thin and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Roughly chop half of the (cooled) bacon and add to the apples.
- Add sugars, salt and spices to the apples and bacon, mix well and set aside.
- Finely chop the remaining bacon (making bacon bits), place in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sift together flour and salt and add to a mixer bowl.
- Add shortening to the bowl and turn on mixer to level 2 to incorporate then raise to level 4 as you add water one tablespoon at a time. Scrape flour from the sides to ensure full incorporation.
- Form dough into a ball and cut in half.
- Roll out one half of the dough ball on a floured surface until it’s large enough to cover a 9 inch pie pan. Add the dough to the pan and make sure there is enough dough hanging over the sides (about 1 inch).
- Add bacon-apple filling to the pie shell and top with butter pieces.
- Sprinkle some finely chopped bacon on the floured counter, place the remaining dough on top of it and roll it out.
- Sprinkle more bacon bits on top and roll out so it’s large enough to cover the pie and still has about a 1 inch overhang on the edge of the pie pan.
- Tuck the edges of both the top and bottom dough under and flute the edges around the entire pie.
- Brush the top of the pie with an egg wash and cut 4 slits in the top of the pie.
- Egg Wash: beat one egg with a splash of water
- Take the dough scraps, form into a ball and roll out with any leftover bacon bits. Take a pig shaped cookie cutter and make as many cut outs as you can with the leftover dough and add to the top of the pie. Brush the pig cut outs with egg wash and bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes (until the crust is golden brown)