What a wonderful dish for chill November nights! The sweetness of butternut squash and the saltiness of sausage are a perfect pairing.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 package sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cups rice
- fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 cups water
- Cut the squash in half (lengthwise) and remove the seeds.
- Place squash in a crock pot, add 2 cups of water, cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- When the squash has 30 minutes left to cook start browning your sausage and cooking your rice (according to the package directions).
- Scoop out the meat of the squash and place in a bowl.
- Slice the sausage and add it to the squash along with some rice. Tear some fresh age leaves and put in a (microwave safe) dish with the butter and melt.
- Drizzle the sage butter over the mixture, sprinkle with cheese if you want and enjoy!