It’s February and the height of soup season. It’s also the time of year when we all seem to be thinking about warmer weather, bathing suits and how much work we need to do to fit into them pleasingly! This is a fantastic soup that is satisfying, healthy and won’t hurt your waste-line. It’s also gluten-free, vegan and freezes well!
- 12 russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (roughly chopped)
- 3 carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 medium yellow onion (roughly chopped)
- water (enough to cover the vegetables in the pot)
- salt & pepper
- 2 medium broccoli crowns (chopped)
- place all vegetables in a soup pot and add enough water to cover them
- cover the pot and cook over medium-high heat until the potatoes are fork tender
- puree the soup with an immersion blender (if you don’t have an immersion blender you can ladle the soup into a blender and puree)
- place chopped broccoli crowns in a microwaveable bowl, cover with enough water to make them float and microwave for 10 minutes
- drain the broccoli and add to the soup
- add salt & pepper to taste
If the soup isn’t thick enough for your liking you can add corn starch as needed and mix well. Corn starch is a thickening agent which is also gluten-free.