I had the pleasure of visiting some family prior to the holidays and was introduced to this beautiful soup. Aside from it being incredibly delicious it is so easy to make and is a lovely twist to the classic combo of grilled cheese and tomato soup.
- 12 ripe tomatoes on the vine
- 3-4 fresh cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (chiffonade – cut into long thin strips)
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups water (or vegetable stock)
- Sliced Italian Loaf Bread (soft loaf style)
- Provolone cheese (sliced from the deli)
- Remove the tomatoes from the vine, chop roughly and put in a blender
- Add minced garlic and approx. 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil and blend until smooth
- Place pureed ingredients in a medium sauce pot, add water (or vegetable stock), basil and cook over a medium flame for approx. 20-25 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- Season with salt & pepper to taste
- Place one slice of bread in the bottom of a bowl and put one slice of provolone on top of the bread. You can also toast the bread to add texture
- Pour the hot soup over the bread and cheese and let it sit for one minute. The heat from the soup will melt the cheese. The result is heavenly!
I dream of tomato season so I can make this in bulk and freeze in quart containers so I can enjoy the goodness of fresh Jersey tomatoes all year-long.