Low in fat, butternut squash delivers a good dose of dietary fiber, making it a heart-friendly choice. It provides significant amounts of potassium, important for bone health, and vitamin B6, essential for the proper functioning of both the nervous and immune systems. With that being said, BRING ON THE BUTTERNUT!
- 1 medium butternut squash (peeled, seeded, cubed)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 10oz. package baby bella mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh sage (chopped)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dried oregano
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 3 small cloves garlic (minced)
- Peel squash, cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Cube squash and put in a medium sauce pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender then drain.
- Put drained squash back in the pot, add cream and water and puree with an immersion blender.
- Add minced garlic, salt, pepper, Parmesan and spinach and cook over medium low heat stirring often for 10 minutes.
- Place sliced mushrooms in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked mushrooms to the sauce.
Enjoy this creamy sauce over pasta, chicken, turkey or fish!