There’s something beyond comforting about a pot pie. It’s nostalgic, conjuring memories from childhood, cold winter nights or good times gone by. Warm and delicious, this hearty and healthy version is a great twist on an old favorite. This recipe yields 2 servings and is gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken breast (cooked, shredded or diced)
- 1 cup roasted beets, daikon & turnips (see my blog for the recipe “Get To The Root Of It-Roasted Root Vegetables’)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (gluten-free stock is available)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. powdered garlic
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- 4 medium potatoes
- Peel and chop the potatoes, place in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil, cooking until they are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes, add 1/2 cup cream, 4 Tbsp. butter and mash until creamy, season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Add vegetables, chicken, stock and seasonings to a large pan, stir then cover and heat over medium heat until the stock has mainly been absorbed.
- Remove from heat, add corn starch and stir until full incorporated.
- Place mixture evenly into two round baking dishes approx. 5 1/2″ wide x 2 1/2″ deep.
- Add mashed potatoes on top of each dish and place on a sheet pan.
- Turn the oven to broil on HIGH and bake for approx. 5 minutes (until the potatoes brown evenly on top.