Need an idea for ‘Meatless Monday’? Try this super easy vegetable pie. It’s guilt-free, gluten-free and glorious so go ahead and go for seconds! I love ‘Meatless Monday’ because it gives me the opportunity to use up any vegetables that I have leftover or hanging out in the vegetable drawer and/or freezer. This recipe uses a combination of fresh and frozen veggies. You can really use whatever vegetables you want (or have) so simply use this recipe as a guide.
- 1 gluten-free pie crust
- 1 small zucchini (diced)
- 12 cherry tomatoes (halved lengthwise)
- 3 medium garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
- 1.3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock (or water if you don’t have stock)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup cauliflower (frozen)
- 1/2 cup carrot slices (frozen)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Prick the entire bottom of the (thawed) pie crust with a fork and bake for 15 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Saute tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, and capers in olive oil, salt & pepper for about 5 minutes then add the stock. Cook until the zucchini softens but still has some firmness to it. Add the spinach, mix, cover and cook until the spinach wilts.
- Put the frozen carrots and cauliflower in a microwaveable dish, cover with water and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Drain carrots and cauliflower and add veggies to the sautéed mixture. Remove from heat and mix well.
- Spread ricotta cheese over the bottom of the pie crust.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan with a slotted spoon (so no liquid goes into the pie crust) and place into the pie shell.
- Add shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the pie and bake at 375 for 10 minutes, then set the oven to BROIL-HIGH and cook for an additional 5 minutes (until the cheese browns lightly).