Like anyone else, my time is not always my own. For those rare opportunities that I get to enjoy a leisurely afternoon, I enjoy staying in and hosting a luncheon with a girlfriend in style. The art of dining and conversation has somehow been lost along the way and I, for one, make a regular effort to bring it back into my life and hopefully inspire you to do the same. After all, don’t we deserve to be ladies who lunch (if only for one afternoon in a blue moon)? I believe we do, so on a rainy afternoon I prepared a gorgeous table and served Sicilian Sausage & Poached Chicken over Zoodles in a White Wine Cream Sauce. For dessert, Red Velvet Tea Cakes with Cream Cheese Frosting served with tea. Afterwards, just because I was feeling sassy, we indulged ourselves with dark chocolate and a nip of Crème de menthe.
The table was set with vintage linens, china, family crystal and Stangl pieces handed down from those whose memory I keep alive by using them. Life is to be enjoyed, not endured. Enjoy this meal and those close to you.
Sicilian Sausage & Poached Chicken over Zoodles in a White Wine Cream
- 2 medium/large zucchini
- 1 package Sicilian sausage
- 1 package thin cut, skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- salt& pepper (to taste)
- 5 oz. package baby bella mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh basil (chiffonade)
- 4 pieces of Laughing Cow spreadable Asiago cheese wedges
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish, drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil, season with salt & pepper, add 1/2 cup of white wine and enough chicken stock to cover the chicken. Add garlic, cover with tin foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Put the sausage in a frying pan, add enough water so that the bottom of the pan is covered and cook over medium/high heat until browned and cooked through.
- Destem and slice the mushrooms and place in a frying pan. Add the chopped shallots, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, season lightly with salt & pepper and saute until tender (but not mushy).
- In another pan, melt the butter, then add the milk, Asiago & Parmesan cheese, basil, salt & pepper and remaining wine. Heat through until the cheese has melted, the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Using a spiralizer, cut the zucchini into noodles (‘zoodles’) and put them in a large microwaveable bowl, add approx. 1/3 cup water, cover and steam in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- When the zoodles have steamed, drain and place in a large bowl.
- Slice the chicken and sausage on a diagonal and add to the zoodles.
- Pour the cream sauce over everything, toss gently.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese (optional).